When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will be responsible for software application development for new and ongoing telecommunications and data communications products. Your efforts will be aimed at customer retention and revenue expansion.
- Design, develop, and test custom software systems for telecommunications and data communications applications.
- Analyze customer requirements and develop concepts for new applications.
- Effectively work in an inter-disciplinary team environment.
- Coordinate with project management, software architects, and other engineering teams in determining overall system solutions.
- Support the scoping and implementation of technical solutions: estimate, prioritize, and coordinate development activities.
- Apply both procedural and object oriented techniques and Agile methodologies.
- Author technical documentation as needed.
- Support QA team in developing test plans.
Where you'll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Software development experience with a focus on involving network and IP protocol technologies and Deep Packet Inspection using C/C++ languages.
- High performance multi-threaded and multi-process software development experience in a LINUX environment.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Perl.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant engineering field.
- Ten or more years of professional experience developing software systems.
- Experience with PCAP and packet analysis tools like WireShark and tcpdump.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills in working with other engineering and analytical teams to arrive at optimal solutions to technical challenges.
- Knowledge of information security development practices.
- Experience developing with Java programming languages and libraries.
- Experience implementing DevOps and CI/CD tools for automated build, packaging, deployment, and testing.
- Experience with git for source version control as well as the Atlassian suite of project tools – Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Knowledge of performance and/or security testing best practices.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.