What You Will Do
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports to the Associate Laboratory Director for Simulation and Computation (ALDSC) and is a key executive of the ALDSC management team. The ALDSC Directorate advances the frontiers of modeling, simulation and computation essential to LANL's science and security missions. Specific ALDSC COO line management responsibilities include programmatic performance, management of safety, security and environment, workforce diversity and excellence, technical capability development, and operational management. The COO effectively addresses Laboratory goals for programmatic, business, and operational excellence and maintains effective working relationships with Laboratory senior management; the ALDSC leadership team; program managers in DOE Office of Science and Energy programs, Weapons, and Global Security; the ALDSC workforce; and internal and external stakeholders. The COO will demonstrate integrity, the ability to establish trust, commitment to quality and excellence in science and technology, and commitment to diversity and excellence in the workforce. The COO will serve as back-up Responsible ALD for SC facilities.
The COO represents ALDSC in a number of activities including participation in the Laboratory Operations Committee (LOC), which supports Institutional integration across the Laboratory. The ALDSC COO leads or participates in cross-organizational committees that focus on Institutional improvement initiatives.
Successful candidates responsibilities include the following:
- Working closely with ALDSC and with the DDSTE COOs to implement DDSTE and Laboratory initiatives.
- Working closely with the ALDSC management team on strategic and tactical planning.
- Providing timely responses from ALDSC for DDSTE, Institutional, and other requests.
- Working with ALDSC management and cross-organizationally to improve, develop, and implement effective and efficient processes for operational executionat the Laboratory.
- Mentoring and counseling ALDSC management team and staff on Laboratory systems and processes.
- Providing senior leadership attention to issues that require cross-organizational solutions.
- Messaging ALDSC initiatives to other Laboratory organizations, including through the LOC.
- Providing and demonstrating leadership for the culture initiatives being implemented within ALDSC and at the Laboratory.
- Providing and demonstrating leadership commitment to the Laboratory's continuous improvement process as a learning organization.
- Having line management responsibility for directorate risk heat map, security posture, space management, and environmental assessments.
- Building and nurturing customer relationships both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Demonstrating directorate leadership for safety, security, environmental, and quality.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Successful experience leading large, complex, multi-disciplinary scientific/technical organizations with significant fiscal and programmatic responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing scientific/technical directions and goals, implementing effective business practices and systems, managing a multidisciplinary scientific and technical workforce, managing complex budgets and finances, intellectual property protection adaptable to diverse program needs, and managing customer and stakeholder relations.
- A distinguished technical track record in an area aligned with the R&D conducted within SC (e.g., physical sciences, computer science, computational science) as evidenced by a strong record of accomplishments, seminars, briefings, presentations, reports and conferences.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrated experience in interacting with all levels of personnel and stakeholders, including demonstrated ability to form productive collaborations; demonstrated ability to build and grow both internal and external organizational relationships, including international engagements.
- Demonstrated expertise and commitment to excellence in operations, physical and cyber-security, and facility planning spanning office space to specialized computing facilities for a portfolio of diverse programs and stakeholders.
- Record of commitment to promoting organizational objectives in areas such as performance improvement, risk management, work control, safety, quality, security, environment, health, human resources, and diversity.
- A strong record demonstrating the following leadership characteristics: personal integrity and accountability, fiduciary responsibility, trustworthiness in relationships, commitment to teamwork, and commitment to quality and excellence in programs and operations.
- Knowledge of LANL policies, management systems and requirements involving personnel, budgeting, procurement, facilities, safety, security, and quality. Of particular importance is demonstrated competence in providing a secure environment that effectively supports scientific and technical excellence from contributions of our foreign national staff.
- Record of effectively reaching closure on Institutional issues by working cross-organizationally with Laboratory senior leadership and management.
- Experience working with the Department of Energy (DOE) or National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) at headquarters or field office level, or with state or federal regulators, or other national security agencies.
- Active Q-Clearance
Education/Experience: PhD in a scientific or engineering field relevant to SC Directorate's mission and projects or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated collaborative relationships with external partners and government agencies on technical objectives and policy initiatives.
- Knowledge of the technical elements of stockpile stewardship and the funding structure of the nuclear weapons program.
- Knowledge of the technical elements and structure of global security programs.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing environments that satisfy a range of safety, security, environmental and quality requirements.
- Active SCI-Clearance
Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos, NM.
The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires.
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year.
Note to Applicants: In addition to a resume, candidates must submit a cover letter addressing the specific requirements. Applications without this letter will not be considered.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paid childbirth and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q/SCI(Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances. Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Incentive Compensation Program: Position is eligible to participate in the Triad Incentive Compensation Program.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.Employment StatusFull Time