The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation in Annapolis, Maryland is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Donor Relations and Stewardship to join our Donor Relations and Stewardship team to enhance our stewardship strategy and initiatives in anticipation of a future campaign. The Donor Relations and Stewardship Team leads the strategy and execution of the comprehensive stewardship program building long-lasting, valuable relationships with donors to include reporting, recognition, dynamic engagement and communications related to the impact of philanthropy.
This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and are also eligible for an annual performance-based bonus, when applicable. You would also be eligible for a generous benefits plan which includes medical, dental, vision, an FSA, an HSA, a fully vested 403(b) retirement plans with employer matching, 22 days of accrued paid time off (PTO) per fiscal year, 14 paid holidays per calendar year, group life insurance, short-term & long-term disability, identity theft protection, and annual opportunities for professional development. Although not guaranteed, certain additional benefits may be offered through the Naval Academy, such as use of certain recreational facilities (including the Brigade Sports Complex gym, marina, and indoor/outdoor pools), as well as category II eligibility for employee children to apply to the Naval Academy Primary School.
These positions are based in historic Annapolis at our current offices located overlooking the Severn River on the beautiful grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy. In 2022, the staff of the Alumni Association and Foundation will move into new modern offices in a to-be-constructed Alumni Center, which is being built on the banks of College Creek overlooking the Naval Academy and downtown Annapolis.
ABOUT THE UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (USNA) ALUMNI ASSOCIATION AND FOUNDATION
The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and the United States Naval Academy Foundation are two independent, not-for-profit corporations sharing a single president and CEO and operating as a fully integrated organization in support of the Naval Academy and its mission. The organization's focus and core competencies are engagement and philanthropy in pursuit of complementary and closely aligned missions.
Our Mission: The course set by Alumni Association founders in 1886 rings true today as our mission is to serve and support the United States, the Naval Service, the Naval Academy, and academy alumni by:
- Furthering the highest standards at the Naval Academy,
- Seeking out; informing, encouraging and assisting outstanding, qualified young men and women to pursue careers as officers through the Naval Academy, and
- Initiating and sponsoring activities that will perpetuate the history, traditions, memories, and growth of the Naval Academy and bind alumni together in support of the highest ideals of command, citizenship, and the government.
Our important mission requires that we hire and retain the best of the best. In order to do that, we offer competitive pay, generous benefits, opportunities for career development, and a positive work experience.
The Associate Director of Donor Relations & Stewardship works proactively to contribute to and implement donor relations and stewardship for major gift and annual fund donors at the United States Naval Academy Foundation. The Associate Director of Donor Relations & Stewardship will perform operational tasks in support of the stewardship, reporting, recognition, and other administrative needs of the Donor Relations & Stewardship team.
The Associate Director deploys donor relations and stewardship techniques and strategies that meet the standards and best practices articulated by the Council on Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and the Association of Donor Relations Professionals (ADRP).
The Associate Director is a full-time professional reporting to the Director of Donor Relations & Stewardship and works collaboratively across the Enterprise and with Naval Academy stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal and external constituents, including development officers and university leadership to develop, plan, and implement donor engagement opportunities and donor experiences that share gratitude and inspire philanthropy at all levels, leading to deeper relationships between the donor and the Naval Academy.
- Coordinate and plan engagement opportunities including, but not limited to: signature donor event(s); recognition society related events and programming; roundtable discussions; unique donor events related to new facilities or a significant moment for the Naval Academy community.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and upkeep of a Yard-wide calendar of donor relevant engagement opportunities, to be updated at regular intervals. Develops cross-campus partnerships to improve donor engagement initiatives on a Yard- wide level.
- Ensure activities are tracked in the database of record, Blackbaud CRM.
- Utilize knowledge of industry best practices to independently make decisions and solve problems
- Support activities to evaluate the efficacy of engagement opportunities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of updated, rebranded, and restructured donor recognition societies.
- Continually evaluate and strategize with colleagues to ensure that the Naval Academy Foundation’s recognition society engagement opportunities and outreach are cohesive and are effectively engaging and stewarding our donors.
- Create and execute, in close partnership with the Director of Donor Relations and the Associate Director of Donor Relations, an annual communications and engagement plan for donors.
- Support communications, events, programming, and special projects for donor recognition societies, frequently collaborating and partnering with Annual Giving, Regional Development, Planned Giving, and Principal Gifts.
- Collaborate with colleagues to employ tactics that will build relations with special groups of donors for the purpose of advancing their philanthropy by deepening engagement.
- Support the Director and Associate Director of Donor Relations and Stewardship on physical recognition projects, working with the appropriate internal partners and vendors to complete each project. Will entail maintaining a database of physical recognition and named spaces on campus.
Communication and Marketing
- Coordinate communications and marketing materials in relation to recognition and engagement initiatives, partnering with Annual Giving, Regional Development and Communications.
- Prepare donor relations event briefing documents for Enterprise Leadership as needed.
- Achieve operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews
- Assist in production of broad-based ThankView campaigns, serving as primary point of contact for questions and projects that are “one to many” messages.
- Assist in identifying content for quarterly donor e-newsletter.
- Assist in creating online content that supplements or enhances donor experience or recognition efforts
- Approaches each day with grit and optimism, works with enthusiasm, thinks with intellect and acts with honesty and
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Careful judgment and discretion in management of confidential information
- Dedication to growth and professional development with an openness to coaching and mentoring
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- 4 to 7 years donor relations, stewardship, or communications experience, preferably in higher education or an independent school.
- Highly capable in Microsoft Office products and telecommunications software, such as videoconferencing platforms.
- Aptitude for complex fundraising or sales database systems, preferably experience in Blackbaud CRM or similar systems.
- Knowledge and experience with digital communications and/or design platforms preferred.
- Willingness to attend evening and weekend events at the Naval Academy, including sporting events, such as Navy football, and academic conferences / lectures
- Perform or assist other duties as assigned.
- We are seeking an individual who wants to be immersed in the daily activity of the Naval Academy campus and community. In order to reach one's full potential in this role, consistent, in-person interaction with the Naval Academy is necessary. Therefore, this position is based in Annapolis and is not eligible for any remote or hybrid working arrangement.