General Summary: Works under general supervision on projects complex in scope while analyzing and evaluating various factors related to the assigned projects. May direct the work of drafters and designers, outside contractors and Company installation and service functions. Ensures project completion within a budget and time schedules. Prepares interim and final progress reports.
- Specifies needs for various components with vendors, evaluates and orders necessary items (pumps, motors, valves, controls, etc.).
- Assigns project personnel to specific phases of project, such as technical studies, product design, specification and technical plan preparation and equipment prototyping.
- Conducts engineering design evaluations for compliance with engineering principles, standards and customer requirements.
- Coordinates activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling and resolution of routine design and test issues.
- Leads design review meetings covering approval drawings and layouts, dimensional attributes, machine specifications, utility requirements, serviceability, sanitation and other attributes.
- Creates CAD models and layouts to define overall equipment. Creates equipment models to allow engineering analysis (FEA CFD) and to aide designers. Helps to develop approval drawing and equipment layouts for sales support.
- Coordinates the Manufacturing Release Review meeting to obtain approval for production release; issues Quality Documents.
- Develops and writes operations and service manuals for assigned projects.
- Develops and conducts technical training with customers for assigned projects.
- Performs additional assignments as requested by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with two plus years of prior engineering project experience preferably related to the food industry. Strong mechanical design skills and experience. Expert knowledge of thermodynamics, strength of materials, etc.
· Analytical and problem solving, strong interpersonal and verbal written communication skills.
· Working knowledge of AutoCAD to do equipment and building layouts
· Experience using 3D CAD for idea creation and design/drawing checking (Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks preferred)
· Valid driver’s license.
Areas of Direct Supervision: None.
Scope Data (budget accountability, operating revenues, organizational unit responsibility, number of employees supervised, and other pertinent numeric data):
· Assigned to projects that normally range $50,000 to $1+ million in scope.
· Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Description of physical working environment:
· Office – sitting at computer and using phone frequently.
· Production areas - extended standing, climbing, ladders, stairs, catwalks and equipment etc.
· Field sites – may vary from walking on plant rooftops to a rough grade construction site; may be required to work around ammonia lines in production and cooler areas.
· Domestic and worldwide travel required.