General Summary: Department manager responsible for scheduling the controls engineers and controls designers. Responsible for the technical development of all controls systems for all Alkar equipment. This includes specifying servomotors, touchscreens, PLC’s and PC based control hardware and software. Works closely with Controls Engineers, Electrical Designers, Project engineering, manufacturing, drafting and sales functions to carryout assignments.
· Develops PC and PLC based control systems for custom designed continuous process and material handling equipment.
· Develops controls platforms for providing control of multiple pieces of equipment and interfacing with customers networks and ERP systems.
· Observes operation of finished equipment prior to release to customer to verify control components conform to specifications.
· Applies electrical engineering principles to trouble-shoot and resolve customer control problems (domestic and international). Must be able to assist in trouble shooting equipment either on-site or remotely.
· Remains abreast of the latest electrical controls technology in the industry.
· Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned by VP of Engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
· Experience in managing a diverse group, including hiring new personnel, is a must.
· Understanding of electrical engineering, Computer knowledge, networking, HMI screen development, Indosoft and Ignition experience a plus.
· One to three years of prior experience in computer systems.
· Knowledge of PLC and PC programming, industrial networks, both Allen-Bradley and Siemens programming software and motion experience skills a plus.
· Work effectively with internal employees and provides customer service and troubleshooting.
· Analytical, problem solving as well as verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Must be willing to travel both domestically and internationally.
· 4 to 6 Controls Engineers and 3 to 4 Controls Designers.
Scope Data (accountability, operating revenues, organizational unit responsibility, number of employees supervised, other pertinent numeric data):
· Assigned projects for continued development.
· Frequent interaction with internal functions and customers.
· Minimal supervision on projects.
Description of physical working environment:
· Regularly works from a sitting position while working on computers.
· Infrequent domestic and international travel.
· Regular lifting of 50 lbs. or less.