New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
An imperative around driving efficient, reusable, and easy to consume technology solutions is a bedrock of Merck’s IT and Digital Strategy. The Enterprise Architecture capability across the company needs to pivot and expand its service offerings and delivery results this year. The CTO Organization’s EA team has been tasked to lead this transformation. The EA team’s mission of “providing strategic technology decisions linked to investments that achieve business outcomes” sets the direction and focus for the architecture capability that will underpin the company’s Digital Strategy.
The general remit of this role is to be the accountable global architect for the “stack” of network technology capabilities that are consumed by multiple divisions across the company.
Partners & Non-Merck Devices
Site Connectivity (e.g., SD-WAN (software defined wide area networking))
Closed LTE networks
Network Automation (IaC (infrastructure as code))
This position is a senior network enterprise architect role, and its focus is to deliver strategic network technology architecture roadmaps and decisions that drive investments for the enterprise as well as provide technical leadership in support of the company’s broader networking initiatives. This role will work daily with the company’s Global Network Services team to provide architectural leadership and explore opportunities for automation of network management functions as well as efforts to modernize network sustainment by leveraging DevOps principles and artificial intelligence for IT operations (AIOps) to get actionable network insights.
The position resides within Technical Architecture on the central Enterprise Architecture team but maintains a dotted alignment to the Lead of Global Network Services for the company, acting as the lead architect for that capability. This role will partner closely with both the Network Services and Network Security leadership teams.
This leader will have an opportunity to work on a truly enterprise team that engages with leaders across all divisions and will be directly involved in helping enable our CIO’s vision of a more top-down, agile, and business outcomes-focused IT organization. The position will work in tandem with other Technical, Systems and Solutions architects across the company.
Use agile, value-centric, business outcomes-oriented, and total cost of ownership-based principles to guide EA decision making.
Create current-state business/technology capability models as well as future state planning roadmaps that will be relevant for all areas of the company as it pertains to networking and network capabilities.
Develop a library of deployable and documented network design patterns, based on the application portfolio, as a basis for deploying network services.
Stay current with network technology trends and introduce network best practices to the company.
Facilitate and drive EA Governance for the network capabilities.
Develop and drive network architecture principles.
Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for network end-to-end architecture, including cloud networking, network security, emerging trend in remote access and site connectivity.
Define metrics for the measuring of technology maturity, health, and business value and plays an active role in delivering these measures.
Drive investment decisions with a mindset to optimize total cost of ownership delivered business value.
Drive the notion of reusable architecture assets & standards such as current-state business/technology capability maps as well as future state planning roadmaps across all of IT.
Partner with architects and capability owners in the other business units to re-use the best available technologies and processes.
Help define and own the management of the EA operating model across the enterprise.
Support the creation of a common and managed set of EA practices, which includes architecture models, architecture governance processes, architecture methods and templates, architecture communities and training, and much more.
Create EA deliverables and artifacts relevant for accountable architecture domain(s).
Effectively work with both waterfall and agile project teams to evolve the technical landscape toward the desired end state.
Apply risk-based decision making to complex problems and consult with relevant subject matter advisors as needed to inform the decision.
Prepare and deliver executive level briefings and communicate complex topics effectively to a diverse executive audience
Travel will be required (~10-20%).
Required Experience and Skills:
- 12+ years of experience spanning IT disciplines including technical architecture, Network architecture, remote access, and site connectivity.
- 5+ years in a leadership role
- Experience with Cisco, Juniper, AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud native networking, Palo alto and other related networking technologies. Specific experience with Cisco ASA, FTD, ACI, and switching, routing and LAN/WAN technologies such as Nexus and Catalyst, experience with Palo Alto 3200 and 5200 series next generation firewalls and Prisma products. Familiarity with Infoblox DDI, Pulse Secure Remote Access, F5 BIG-IP Load Balancers
- Strong understanding of modern cloud architecture patterns as they relate to networking. Experience and awareness of the operational dependencies and implications of network architecture.
- Awareness and experience with the financial implications/requirements of building and sustaining network architectural solutions, ability to set and work within reasonable budgets.
- Demonstrated experience and strong familiarity of the integration of enterprise network security principles within network architecture recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with business stakeholders and navigate across conflicting priorities to balance critical tactical and strategic needs.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills – able to effectively communicate complex concepts in simple ways.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and communicate with a variety of audiences and stakeholders including executive management, business leaders, IT peers, and colleagues worldwide.
- Strategic thinker, with demonstrated ability to work in a broad and top-down manner with a fair amount of ambiguity at the center.
- Results-orientation with the proven ability and reputation for developing plans and implementing them successfully.
- Demonstrated leadership in achieving shared objectives in a matrix organization, managing cross-divisional initiatives, and cross-functional teams in an extremely dynamic environment.
- Self-directed, self-motivated, focused leader who with little direction can fill in the gaps as to what is needed, and drive expected results.
- Demonstrated ability to envision the future and rally the organization / people towards a common goal.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Prior experience in Enterprise, Technical or Solution Architecture Knowledge/certification in TOGAF or other EA methodology frameworks Relevant network certifications
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processesStrong understanding of application development methodologies
- Experience with systems development lifecycle (SDLC) practices
Education Minimum Requirements:
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.