Job Title: Sr.Navigation and Controls Engineer
Job Code: IMS20221003-78461
Job Location: Santa Rosa, CA or Plano, TX
Controls System Engineer Position Overview:
Using first-principles thinking, GNC engineers use a foundational understanding of physics combined with multi-disciplinary experience to architect, design, develop and evaluate system capability to help steer a program’s path forward. GNC Engineers are responsible for simulation and software development,implementation, testing, and analysis to support a variety of EO/IR sensor payloads.
We are looking for a team addition to expand our technical expertise maturing EO/IR-system dynamics, navigation and controls solutions. Candidates will accept Systems Engineering responsibilities consisting of requirements derivation, architectural and design approach, analysis, development, integration & test of electro-optic systems. This encompasses controls and navigation functions for remote airborne, ground, and maritime surveillance systems. Influence through collaboration encompasses mechanical, electrical, software and optical engineering functions.
About L3Harris Technologies Sonoma EO
L3Harris Sonoma EO, located in Santa Rosa, CA is an established pioneer in military/defense infrared technology. A leader in high technology and engineering services, L3Harris Sonoma EO is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. As a first-rank engineering and production company, L3Harris Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly-sophisticated electronics equipment that is used in a variety of product areas for government, civil and commercial applications. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Support simulation/software development and task scoping/status
- Develop multi-domain dynamic sensor models with active and passive elements
- Develop mission enabling pointing and target state estimation algorithms
- Design and tune controllers for optical payload stabilization and motion control
- Integrate a suite of inertial and aiding sensors feedback for Navigation state estimation
- Analyze system performance and sensitivities as part of architectural and configuration trades
- Support Growth of dynamic system modeling, Control and Navigation through creation of process/technical resources
- Create design/results for presentation to internal and external customers
- Analysis support of root-cause failure identification and resolution studies
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a U.S Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain DoD secret clearance. Must be able to obtain and maintain additional clearances.
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or Mathematics (Advanced degree preferred)
- 5-8 Years w/ BS
- 3-6 Years w/MS
- 0-3 Years w/PhD
- Demonstrated Technical Capability in at least one GNC discipline
- Target State Estimation, Navigation, Control Theory, Dynamic System Modeling
- Demonstrated Behavioral Competencies
- Positive Attitude, Mentoring, Emotional Intelligence, Teaming, Delegation, Work Ethic
- Demonstrated Communication Skills
- Written, verbal, and presentation for internal and external customers
- Frequent and actionable status to program/technical/functional lead
- Working Technical Skills
- Excellent problem solving and math skills
- Proficiency with MATLAB/Simulink, C/C++, and Microsoft Office products
- Familiarity with a variety of optical sensors and stabilization
- Familiarity with a variety of navigation sensors (GPS, Inertial)
- Familiarity with unconventional navigation aids for GPS denied operation ( image-aiding, terrain-matching)
- Background in physics/rigid body dynamics