Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Job Location: Santa Rosa, CA
About Sonoma EO
L3Harris Sonoma EO, located in Santa Rosa, CA is an established leader in Electro-optical systems for security and defense applications. A trailblazer in designing and developing highly engineered, innovative solutions, L3Harris Sonoma EO is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly-sophisticated systems. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
Sonoma EO is looking for Electrical Engineers. You will join our diverse and talented team of engineers developing advanced, next-generation stabilized EO/IR systems. You will be responsible electronics design engineer to develop complex circuits and systems for the control of airborne imaging systems and the processing of video signals.
- Design, develop, modify and analyze complex electronic hardware and/or systems
- Conduct independent technical investigations to improve system performance or solve difficult system issues
- Work with other functional areas to develop requirements, specifications, & test plans
- Recommend design approaches to meet requirements on new or existing products
- Work with procurement and suppliers to build prototype circuit boards
- Perform unit testing of hardware products
- Coordinate with other functional engineers to develop, test, and integrate systems
- Diagnose complex faults in existing systems and recommend design changes to improve performance
- Follow internal process to ensure conformance to established policies and procedures
- Provide timely production support and problem resolution
- Produce timely status reports
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects to specification and budget requirements
Technical Acumen – Demonstrated through successful product development experience involving complex electronic system development. Able to show a history of complex design realization utilizing Analog, FPGA, CPU, GPU, and DSP technologies. Able to show solution development spanning architecture, development and testing.
Requirements Development – A demonstrated background in interpretation of system requirements to generate electronic subsystem requirements and specifications.
Creative Solutions – Direct contribution to technical solutions that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into systems that provide unique and differentiated capability; requires understanding of current and proposed technologies, as well as the interplay between technologies and engineering design.
Test & Verification – Can articulate what and how key system performance parameters should be tested, can outline and write verification test plans, can perform testing and analyze results.
Basic Education Requirements:
- Education – B.S. Degree in an electronics-related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience. M.S. Degree preferred.
- Experience – 5 years of related experience with B.S. Degree; 2 years with M.S. Degree.
- High level of expertise in at least 3 of the following areas and basic capability in the other areas:Strong mechanical, mathematical, & geo-spatial comprehension skills
- Knowledge of circuit design, schematic capture and PCB (printed circuit board) layout using ECAD tools (Altium preferred)
- Experience analyzing and designing digital circuits that incorporate FPGAs, CPU’s, GPU’s, and DSPs
- Experience in Analog design such as: Motor drivers, power circuits, EMC/EMI noise reduction, motion control methods
- Experience in simulation and analysis of designs.
- Knowledge of general electronics, digital design, analog control, power distribution, signal integrity, data and video communications
- Understanding of EMI/RFI and respective troubleshooting and design corrections/mitigations.
- Understanding of the hardware development process, documentation, quality assurance, board turn-on and debug integration testing
- Experience with VHDL
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking abilities with the ability to resolve conflicting priorities
- Must be able to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines
- US Citizenship required
- Pre-employment drug screening and background checks are standard
- Some repetitive motion activities
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time
- Able to use office, test equipment & computers/peripherals in an office/lab environment
- May be required to lift up to 25 lbs, with assistance
- Fast paced, schedule-driven environment
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary