Join the industry leader to design the next generation of breakthroughs
Innovate to solve the world's most important challenges
Honeywell is a Fortune 100 company that invents and manufactures technologies to address critical challenges linked to global macrotrends such as safety, security, productivity, global urbanization and energy. With approximately 129,000 employees worldwide, including more than 19,000 engineers and scientists, Honeywell has an unrelenting focus on quality, delivery, value, and technology in everything they make and do. Honeywell has been named a Top 100 Global Innovator for seven years in a row, recognizing the company’s global reach of portfolio and invention influence.
In Kansas City, Honeywell Federal Manufacturing & Technologies (FM&T) manages and operates the U.S. Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration’s (NNSA) Kansas City National Security Campus. This state-of-the-art engineering, manufacturing and sourcing facility produces a wide array of intricate components to deliver trusted national security products and government services primarily for the NNSA. Honeywell FM&T’s culture of integrity, commitment and continuous improvement enables them to deliver responsive, collaborative and innovative management and technology services and products that translate into cutting edge solutions to complex national security issues.
***This position will be located in Kansas City, MO***
Performs and oversees a variety of functions to ensure IT infrastructure is available, reliable, and stable. Applies advanced judgment and analysis in the evaluation, selection, installation, and maintenance of systems software and hardware. Monitors systems and serves as a focal point for routine support of systems. Support is generally for large scale systems with high criticality to the business. Has assignments for multiple areas of the infrastructure and is expected to plan for the future by setting and documenting specific direction of assigned areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for expertise in computing systems, hardware, software, operational, security and support issues
- Independent ability to quickly analyze, isolate and diagnose complex problems, recommend remedial actions and implement resolution
- Apply advanced technical methodologies to the computing infrastructure, monitor operating efficiencies, performance tuning and assist in capacity planning
- Review, evaluate and recommend new or upgraded systems software packages and related hardware, based on established standards
- Develop detailed implementation plans based on the architectural plans and complete implementation
- Install new or enhanced applications and/or hardware; assist in the installation of servers
- Manage medium to large enterprise projects according to division standards and requirements
- Demonstrated ability to partner with technical peers at other sites within NSE in support of NNSA Mission
- Manage both n-tier and client server applications integrated with backend databases like Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server
- Transform business requirements into technical architecture requirements and design application architectures, which are scalable, robust, and manageable, while balancing the price/performance
- Ability to perform analysis of competing technologies and products
- Work closely and escalates issues directly with vendors to ensure that supporting operating systems are compliant with applications, including required patch levels, hot fixes, and revisions
- Implement application and database high availability techniques and application/network security concepts
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and works in accordance with established HS&E requirements to ensure the protection of associates, the public, and the environment. Takes actions necessary to "stop" work when an unsafe condition, or action, is identified. Every employee has the right and responsibility to stop work when unsafe conditions or actions are identified
You Must Have:
- Experienced professional with preferably more than 5 years of practical experience in a systems engineer role and 0-2 years of project or technical consultant responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of Information Systems, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering, with a minimum of 24 semester hours of computer-related courses, two additional years of direct work experience in lieu of a Bachelors degree Certifications desired
- Understanding of the hardware supported, both server and peripheral devices
- Advanced knowledge of specific operating systems (Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Windows Server), servers, peripheral devices and workstations
- Highly skilled in scripting tools (like PowerShell, Puppet, Perl, Python) to support database, web and application administration
- Advanced skills for identifying and resolving technical problems
- Effective communication skills to work closely with vendors and customers
- Ability to lead in a team environment
- Ability to develop and communicate a technical vision that is easily understood by all levels of management
- Proven ability to mentor peers to better results and identify appropriate training to improve teams technical bench strength
- General knowledge of cyber security design requirements
- Ability to manage projects in an organized manner to achieve results
- Ability to work without supervision, given latitude for independent action, for decision making and for developing solutions
- Knowledge and experience with concepts regarding high availability, clustering, load balancing, backup and recovery, web services, application servers, and database systems and demonstrated ability to apply them appropriately to the business
- Knowledge and experienced with installation, configuration and administration of enterprise web services, application servers, databases, clustering backup and recovery systems, portals, firewalls, virtual private networks, terminal services, authentication and authorization, collaboration and load balancin
- JOB ID: req333835
- Category: Information Technology
- Relocation Tier:
- Security Clearance: US - DOE Q Clearance
- Aviation Authority (FAA for US): No
- Band: 03
- Referral Bonus: 750
- Requisition Type: Pipeline Requisition
- US Citizenship: Must have or be eligible for a security clearance due to contractual requirements.
- FLSA Statement: In this position you will exercise discretion and independent judgment on matters of significance.
- FLSA CODE: Exempt
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.